Cedar Point Forum > News >

Cedar Point to host first employee reunion

You must register and login to post.
Previous < Topic > Next

Cedar Point to host first employee reunion

Park will host four-day reunion for past employees on Labor Day weekend.

Posted July 28, 2008, 2:45P by Walt

Cedar Point Press Release

SANDUSKY, Ohio -- Cedar Point wants all of its past employees to get "Back to the Point."

And they won't have to cook, clean, sweep, check a lap bar, operate a game or sell a sweatshirt.

On Labor Day Weekend, Friday, Aug. 29 through Monday, Sept. 1, Cedar Point will host the first "Back to the Point," a four-day reunion for all of its past employees who worked seasonally or full-time at the Sandusky, Ohio, amusement park/resort. Families of employees are also invited to attend.

In operation since 1870, Cedar Point has thousands of employees who worked at the park and will be eligible to attend the event. Not only do they live in Ohio and the surrounding states, but across the country, too. The park estimates the number of past and present employees totals nearly 200,000 people. Many of the park's employees have developed strong friendships with their co-workers that have lasted beyond their summers in Sandusky. Some also met their future spouse while working at the park, including Knute Rockne, the legendary Notre Dame football coach who married the Sandusky girl he met while working as a lifeguard on the Cedar Point Beach in 1913.

"One of the best things about working at Cedar Point is the people you meet. You form a bond that can last a lifetime," said John Hildebrandt, vice president and general manager of Cedar Point. "The 'Back to the Point' employee reunion is a wonderful opportunity for employees to reconnect with old friends and have a great time experiencing the changes at the park."

The center of activities for "Back to the Point: Cedar Point's Employee Reunion" will be the historic Grand Ballroom that has hosted many employee events during the park's 138-year history. The Ballroom will be used as a gathering place so participants can make arrangements to get together with their old friends and crew members. A message board will also be available to coordinate meeting times and places.

On Saturday evening, a live band will perform in the Ballroom to recreate the employee dances of past years.

Other activities during the event will include an Old-Fashioned Employee Chicken Barbecue that will be held from 4-7 p.m. in the Coral Courtyard on Saturday and Sunday, Aug. 30-31. Group photos and exclusive ride sessions on two of the park's most popular coasters after the park closes to the public on Saturday and Sunday, Aug. 30-31 will also be available. Participants will also qualify for early entry to the park (9 a.m.).

To attend "Back to the Point," participants must pre-register online or register at the park during the event. Participants are eligible for a special ticket price of $24.95 per day, if purchased online in advance of the event. (A maximum of six tickets per order is permitted.) Former employees who are Cedar Point Season Pass-holders or Cedar Fair Platinum Pass members will be able to attend the event for free. However, there will be an additional charge for the meal. Special rates for overnight accommodations at the Cedar Point Resort Properties are also available.

For more information about "Back to the Point," please visit cedarpointreunion.com

July 29, 2008, 10:36A

Re: Cedar Point to host first employee reunion

Another of my ideas stole...but that is ok. I've been saying for a while that I think a reunion idea would be smart considering the amount of employees who have work there in the past decade or two alone. Those folks are now of the "discretionary income" age so why not target them with a promotion?

Even with the discounted tickets I can tell you we put down a lot of money when we visit. We didn't leave the park until we had spent well over $100 in food, nearly $50 in gifts, and other miscellaneous expenses (including the parking).

My wife and I met at the park as have countless other couples we know. I do think they should have decided to do this earlier in they year so that out of town employees could make plans to come. Had we had notice we might have put off our trip. But, I still think it has potential...particularly if they do it at the same time each year. Even more potential...have an exclusive piece of merchandise for employees only. My suggestion...a Christmas ornament. LOTS of people collect Christmas ornaments. They don't cost a fortune but are usually very meaningful to familes.

The exclusive merchandise Disney sells to its cast members is always a desired item.

"You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world...but it requires people to make the dreams a reality."

-Walt Disney

July 29, 2008, 11:35A

I think this is a cool idea... Now I just need to find out how many people from my crews are actually going to attend to decide if I am going to go myself...

Ripcord Crew 2002 / MF Crew 2004
http://www.coastercounter.com/StormFreak

July 29, 2008, 7:03P

Attendance must be off this year for Cedar Point to do something like this for their ex-employees. Never seen them do this in years where attendance was good.

Bill Abele

July 29, 2008, 7:33P

For Cedar Fair (ie Dick Kinzel) to even acknowledge they have "alumni" is quite a step...I agree. But it only makes sense. Again, there are literally tens of thousands of "alumni" employees around Ohio, Michigan, etc and that number grows every year. Many of those folks are in their later years or mid-life, have children, and have discretionary income. It only makes sense.

Yesterday in the park I was stunned at the young crowd that was in the park. I kept thinking, ok...I'm spending some money here today. Are they spending what I'm spending? I doubt it. Attendance is great but if that attendance isn't really spending money then where does that leave you?

And, yet again, we spent a great deal of time watching the children on rides. The rides we rode together were no different than what has been available for the past 5 years...at least. I really do think that is huring Cedar Point in significant ways. Granted, we could ride some of the rides in Planet Snoopy but I've said it before...at Disney and Universal there is more that we can ride together than we can't. If we are going to spend are discretionary income, where do you think we will choose to do it?

"You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world...but it requires people to make the dreams a reality."

-Walt Disney

July 29, 2008, 11:04P

From what I understand, this was really John Hildebrandt's baby, which I could totally see.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - MouseZoom - My Blog

July 30, 2008, 1:00A

It sounds like something John would do. He has seen alot of people go through the park over the years.

I've been contacted by two groups of friends who worked the park in the 90's that are planning a trip. I think it's a great thing.

Last edited by Red Garter Rob, July 30, 2008, 1:01A

June 11th, 2001 - Gemini 100
VertiGo Rides - 82
R.I.P. Fright Zone, and Cyrus along with it.

July 31, 2008, 10:57A

I agree Rob, one of John's first responsibilities when he
he came to the Point was overseeing the Employee Annual.
Back in those days it was a 160 page soft bound work, laid out 
out like a high school year book. Good times. 
My wife and I can't make this one, hopefully it will be 
successful enough that it will be reapeated.

Previous < Topic > Next

Cedar Point Forum > News > Cedar Point to host first employee reunion

POP Forums v8
©2008, POP World Media, LLC