Cedar Point Forum > News >

Lawsuits part of the amusement park business

You must register and login to post.
Previous < Topic > Next

Lawsuits part of the amusement park business

For thrill parks, lawsuits have become part of the cost of doing business.

Posted December 6, 2010, 3:52A by Walt

Thrills sometimes lead to spills at local amusement parks and waterparks and a handful of people slipped and stumbled their way into lawsuits in 2010.

Local thrill parks generate a ton of revenue for the community and lawsuits have become part of the cost of doing business.

Read more from the Sandusky Register

December 6, 2010, 9:52A

Re: Lawsuits part of the amusement park business

I wish I could get 25,000 for bruising my arm, or 250,000 for not being able to walk down steps.

In all seriousness, maybe someone can answer this for me. Can you ban someone from your business because they brought what you feel is a frivolous lawsuit against another company? If someone sued a business across town because they slipped on a step, can I keep them from coming to my business as a kind of pro-active protection for myself?

Goodbye MrScott

John

December 6, 2010, 10:34P

Sheesh, John. Isn't it enough you stooped to commenting within a Sandusky Register comment thread?

Mike
At last, a comic strip for (and about) enthusiasts:
http://www.chumsofcdom.wordpress.com

December 7, 2010, 3:39A

JuggaLotus said:
If someone sued a business across town because they slipped on a step, can I keep them from coming to my business as a kind of pro-active protection for myself?

You'd probably get sued for it.

December 7, 2010, 8:50A

Ensign Smith said:
Sheesh, John. Isn't it enough you stooped to commenting within a Sandusky Register comment thread?

Ah, but I didn't stoop so far as to comment in the article itself. I still have some shred of self respect.

Goodbye MrScott

John

December 7, 2010, 3:41P

So you deny that you are the self-named 'Juggalo7' who commented in a Sandusky, Ohio newspaper's online discussion about an amusement park?

Mike

December 7, 2010, 3:47P

Nope, not me. Like I said, I do have some self respect.

Goodbye MrScott

John

December 7, 2010, 7:18P

$25,000 is the jurisdictional amount you need to plead in your complaint to get your case into an Ohio Court of Common Pleas. Almost every complaint filed in Ohio uses that exact language, because people don't want to try their cases in municipal courts. You don't need to show economic damages in excess of that amount, either.

Edit: You can also settle for less than $25,000 with no adverse consequences, and this happens quite often. Believe me, it takes more than a contusion on your arm to ring the 25k bell.

Last edited by Break Trims, December 7, 2010, 7:21P

The path you tread is narrow, and the drop is sheer and very high.

December 8, 2010, 1:12A

^^I actually knew that the instant I saw it. But it seemed like too low hanging fruit to ignore.

Mike

Previous < Topic > Next

Cedar Point Forum > News > Lawsuits part of the amusement park business

POP Forums v8
©2008, POP World Media, LLC