Cedar Point announces new restaurants, signature festival for 2019 season

Hugo’s Italian Kitchen and BackBeatQue join the park's dining lineup.

Friday, February 22, 2019 9:59 AM

Cedar Point Press Release

SANDUSKY, Ohio, February 22, 2019 – In addition to Forbidden Frontier on Adventure Island, an interactive and immersive storytelling experience, guests of Cedar Point will have more to explore this season. The park is introducing new ways to dine and a summertime street celebration in Frontier Town.

Hugo’s Italian Kitchen
A taste of Italy is coming to America’s Roller Coast®. Hugo’s Italian Kitchen will serve traditional Italian fare like hand-made pastas, fresh pizzas baked in a large open-flamed brick oven, chicken parmesan sandwiches, salads, meatball sandwiches and fresh desserts. Hugo’s Italian Kitchen will be located in the former Midway Market location, adjacent to the Raptor roller coaster.

BackBeatQue
Live music and savory smokehouse barbeque come together at BackBeatQue. This new rock ‘n’ roll and Motown-inspired eatery will serve smoked brisket, rotisserie chicken, pork platters and fresh perch. Southern sides like okra, cornbread muffins and house-made mac & cheese will also be available.

BackBeatQue’s outdoor dining space will give guests a great place to eat, relax and take in the sights and sounds of the BackBeat Quartet and Cedar Point’s Gemini Midway. BackBeatQue will be located between the Monster ride and Magnum XL-200 roller coaster.

Frontier Festival
Frontier Town, already home to the “Best New Ride of 2018,” Steel Vengeance, turns up the WILD factor this summer during the new Frontier Festival – an immersive Old West, sunflower-inspired street festival with local artisans, kids’ crafts and games, continuous live entertainment and wild food and drink to sample and savor.

A bounty of family activities will be available, including the Flower Patch – an opportunity for kids to choose their own flower and decorate their own flowerpot; the Junkyard Jamboree – where guests can make their own music on antique metal items; and the daily Balloon Stampede – where kids can stomp on balloons for prizes.

Guests can also enjoy live music from Cedar Point’s Bluegrass Jamboree and other local bands on the Gossip Gulch Stage. Plus, guests can tap their boots during line and square dancing lessons at the Hubbub Hoedown and meet the Frontier Townsfolk for special photo opportunities.

Frontier Festival also features specialty food items made right on the midway, like two-meat barbeque baked beans, bison chili, pulled pork sliders, fire roasted chicken drums, smoked wings, toasted sunflower vinegar slaw, smoked brisket, wild strawberry shortcake, peaches & cream and more. Guests can wash the wild food down with alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverage samples, including craft brews, ciders, wines and handcrafted lemonades.

Frontier Festival runs daily June 7 – 30 from 4 – 10 p.m. There is a nominal event fee for food & beverage tasting cards.

Forbidden Frontier on Adventure Island
The park’s new signature attraction, an immersive, themed entertainment experience, will open Saturday, May 25. More information on Forbidden Frontier on Adventure Island will be released in the coming weeks on Cedar Point’s blog at cedarpoint.com, including story detail, artist renderings of attractions and more.

Friday, February 22, 2019 10:14 AM

I love these new additions. Cedar Point has really stepped up their food game. The new place in the former WW spot sounds like it will be great. I like Italian food, so I like that one as well. Hopefully they will be on the meal plan, which I'm pretty sure they will be. And looks like Brew & BBQ has evolved into a new event.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 21| Steel Vengeance Rides: 13| Dragster Rollbacks: 1
2018 Visits: 1 Next Visit: Hopefully soon

+3Loading
Friday, February 22, 2019 10:32 AM

This all sounds fantastic!! I can't wait to taste and experience it all!!

+1Loading
Friday, February 22, 2019 12:50 PM

Please be on dining plan. And please have okra available to pick as a side with it.Simply do not get much chances to enjoy it here unlike when I visit south.And Cedar Point definitely needed to hit something more on the Italian aspect.

Sacrificing playing video games to ride roller coasters.

+1Loading
Friday, February 22, 2019 1:36 PM

Hugo's will be an excellent addition. CP doesn't have any Italian food in the park besides cheap pizza and I really think this will solidify their lineup.

I'm torn on BackBeat. On the one hand, as a Detroit native, I'm really excited for the Motown-like atmosphere, and having a live band playing next to guests eating okra and perch among other BBQ items sounds like an excellent addition. On the other hand, having another BBQ place when Miss Keat's exists feels somewhat redundant. I feel that the park really wanted Witches' Wheel out first before deciding what should replace it, and the decision to choose another BBQ place, while appreciated, feels rushed.

Frontier Festival sounds AMAZING now. Brew and BBQ felt like a lively event but this sounds like a far better event with the added family entertainment and food. Frontiertown will be a sight to see come June.

+1Loading
Friday, February 22, 2019 3:30 PM

I’m hoping the Italian place is similar (at least in quality) to the Italian place at Carowinds. They had a chicken parm meal that was HUGE and included on the meal plan. My wife and I split one plan and that particular meal was more than enough for two. Not to mention by amusement park standards it was pretty good.

+1Loading
Friday, February 22, 2019 5:41 PM

Really looking forward to the Italian place. I hope it ends up being better than LaRossa's or something like that.

I'm also a bit surprised they went for another BBQ place back by Magnum. Maybe if this was going up at the former Midway Market location, it would make more sense since it's a long way from Miss Keat's. They also have the Crystal Rock Cafe in the waterpark which has some BBQ included in addition to Famous Dave's in the marina. Makes me wonder if the days of one or two of these might be numbered. I would have rather seen some sort of quick service burritos/tacos ala Qdoba or Chipotle, but who knows. Maybe burritos don't do that well since Buckaroo's is hardly ever open when I go.

Wondering how much Frontier Festival will differ from Brew & BBQ. I'm hoping not too much because I seriously have loved Brew & BBQ and feel it has been a good value. I didn't feel like those tastings they had out by the beach and the nighttime show last year were really all that enticing to get me to spend the money.

Does H. John Hildebrant have an ownership stake in "Hugo's?" ;)

Last edited by MDOmnis, Friday, February 22, 2019 5:42 PM

-Matt

+1Loading
Friday, February 22, 2019 8:26 PM

Everyone is focused on the BBQ, but the only two words that catch my eye are fresh and perch.

This is an Erie-Island staple that has been sorely lacking at Cedar Point, for reasons I have never been able to understand. My hope is that it's actually fresh, and not the chewy-this-was-obviously-frozen-and-maybe-more-than-once perch that was available near Gatekeeper in poorly conceived sandwiches.

Just give me a plate of fresh deep-fried perch.

Call yourself a BBQ place if you want...but please, for the love of god, do the perch justice this time.

Last edited by Kevinj, Friday, February 22, 2019 8:29 PM

Promoter of fog.

+6Loading
Saturday, February 23, 2019 12:40 AM

I'd imagine Frontier Festival will have lanyards and pricing similar to the Fire & Ice Tastebud Tour last summer. They might be getting away from the ticket system used previously.

"Thank the Phoenicians!"

+1Loading
Saturday, February 23, 2019 7:10 AM

Not sure how the lanyard works, but I was not a fan of the tickets. I purchased 20 tickets at BrewBBQ last year to be used over my Hotel Breakers stay. Purchased them the evening I got there and the following evening was not allowed to use the ones I had purchased the day before.

I had to “be made whole” over that one. It certainly wasn’t a policy that was resort guest friendly.

+1Loading
Saturday, February 23, 2019 7:41 AM

The lanyard for Fire & Ice had eight tabs you would tear off for each food sample or drink. You could use them on any date during the event. The lanyard was $25 when purchased in advance.

With Brew & BBQ in 2018 you would get 15 food samples/drinks for $25 when purchased in advance. I assume Frontier Festival will go with the eight samples for $25-30 like Fire & Ice.

"Thank the Phoenicians!"

+1Loading
Saturday, February 23, 2019 9:20 AM

I don't care if I tear my "currency" from a lanyard or a sheet. I have always felt that Brew & BBQ was a good value - especially for season passholders who bought in advance and got $5 off and a coupon for a free beer from Brew Kettle. I didn't think the Fire & Ice tasting was nearly as appealing because the price point was higher, there was less variety, and the was no booze included. Honestly, I didn't see many people partaking in the Fire & Ice tastings so I hope that's not the price point used for Frontier Festival.

I do agree they ought to just allow the tickets to be used whenever or at least throughout a weekend or something like that. There's no sense in forcing people to over drink or to give them away. We never had a problem because we had a group of people and bought less than that number of ticket sheets so we didn't have to eat/drink more than we really wanted.

Last edited by MDOmnis, Saturday, February 23, 2019 9:22 AM

-Matt

+3Loading
Saturday, February 23, 2019 11:30 AM

A shame that the Italian place is only focusing on tomato based foods. Would be great to see a good Italian Beef sandwich on the menu.

+1Loading
Saturday, February 23, 2019 11:49 AM

Kevinj said:

My hope is that it's actually fresh, and not the chewy-this-was-obviously-frozen-and-maybe-more-than-once perch that was available near Gatekeeper in poorly conceived sandwiches.

Amen to this. I like perch. A couple of years ago I purchased the All Day Dining plan. I tried the perch sandwich up by GK. It was terrible. I ended up throwing the bulk of it out, and I HATE wasting food, but it was inedible.

-Craig
Lifetime Laps on Woodstock Express: 0

+1Loading
Saturday, February 23, 2019 12:09 PM

Deep fried lasagna on a stick.

+2Loading
Tuesday, February 26, 2019 1:22 AM

The official site now has pages with the renderings of BackBeatQue and Hugo's Italian Kitchen:

https://www.cedarpoint.com/play/drinks-dining/backbeatque

https://www.cedarpoint.com/play/drinks-dining/hugos-italian-kitchen

"Thank the Phoenicians!"

+4Loading
Tuesday, February 26, 2019 5:33 AM

^Check out that rendering of Hugo's. Looks like Vespa scooters are available. So, you can finish your linguini & then book around the park on two wheels!

+2Loading
Tuesday, February 26, 2019 8:19 AM

I love the look of the BBQ place. If they can execute that patio as it's rendered, that will be a fantastic new look to that midway.

Hugo's looks like a pretty small update to the exterior, but I feel like with a small amount of work, the interior could be pretty great as well. I'm very excited about the new dining options.

346 MF laps
Brew & BBQ + CoasterMania = #CPBestDay

+3Loading
Tuesday, February 26, 2019 9:20 AM

haha, jimmyburke beat me to the punch. The first thing I noticed when reviewing the renderings was the hilariously included scooter at Hugo's.

Tall and fast not so much upside down...

+1Loading
Tuesday, February 26, 2019 9:24 AM

I’m a little disappointed that the corrugated metal exterior appears that it will be staying at Hugo’s. No doubt Midway Market was long overdue for an update and Hugo’s sounds great but I’ve always hated the exterior look and hoped that one day it would be modernized. Especially considering the look of the buildings in that area of the park have been refreshed in recent years.

"The art challenges technology, technology inspires the art."
- John Lasseter

+1Loading

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums - ©2019, POP World Media, LLC