Cedar Point History - 1890's
Facts are not protected under copyright law, but this original compilation is. We encourage you to use and reference the facts on this timeline, but don't reproduce the overall collection. Please respect the countless number of hours of work spent researching and compiling this information.
Back to decade list
Click on year to view events
Cedar Point opens for its 21st season.
Cedar Point opens for its 22nd season.
First electricity at Cedar Point.
Cedar Point opens for its 23rd season.
- Sunday, 10 July 1892
- The Switchback Railway opens. It is Cedar Point's first roller coaster.
- Thursday, 01 June 1893
- Cedar Point opens for its 24th season.
Cedar Point opens for its 25th season.
- Wednesday, 29 May 1895
- Cedar Point opens for its 26th season.
Cedar Point opens for its 27th season.
Cedar Point opens for its 28th season.
Cedar Point is sold to the Cedar Point Pleasure Resort & Company, headed by G. A. Boeckling, for $256,000.
G. A. Boeckling Company becomes president and general manager of Cedar Point Pleasure Company.
A new long cable swing opens, swinging guests out 30 feet over the water.
Bath houses are renovated.
8,000 new bathing suits purchased for use of swimmers.
- Thursday, 05 May 1898
- Cedar Point Pleasure Company grants Sandusky Telephone company the right to construct the first telephone line to Cedar Point.
- Sunday, 29 May 1898
- Cedar Point opens for 29th season.
New electric light plant is built. It furnishes light for 800 incandescent and 25 arc lights.
- Monday, 15 May 1899
- Bay Shore Hotel opens. It is Cedar Point's first hotel. The first guests were a party of 40 people from Pittsburgh who used the hotel for a couple of weeks before the resort opened.
- Saturday, 27 May 1899
- Cedar Point opens for 30th season.